Indian Institute of Science, popularly known as Tata Institute among the locals, is located in the heart of Bengaluru, flanked by M S Ramaiah Medical College, Mathikere in the North; CPRI, Ashwath Nagar in the East; KV-IISc, Subedarpalya in the West; and BHEL, Malleshwaram in the South. Centre for Nano Science and Engineering is located in the Northern part of the IISc Campus, close to Mathikere.
Being a big campus, IISc has many entry/exit gates at which your identitiy must be validated with an ID card. A few of the important gates are:
- D Gate: [Vehicular Entry/Exit] Closest to CeNSE | Distance from Divanarapalya Bus Stop: ~300m | Distance to CeNSE: ~300m
- ATM/Security Gate: [Pedestrian Entry/Exit] | Distance from Tata Institute Bus Stop: ~200m | Distance to CeNSE: ~1.5km
- Main Gate: [Vehicular Entry/Exit] | Distance from Tata Institute Bus Stop: ~200m | Distance to CeNSE: ~1.5km
- Circle Maramma Gate: [Vehicular Entry/Exit] | Distance from Malleshwaram 18th Cross Bus Stop: ~400m | Distance to CeNSE: ~2km
PEDL Cycle Facility can be availed for commute within the campus (requires a Smartphone and PayTM).
From the Airport
Bengaluru International Airport/BLR
Kempegowda International Airport (BIAL), which handles both domestic and international operations, is about 30 kms from CeNSE, IISc.
KIAS-10 [Frequency ~ 1 hr] to Tata Institute Stop [~Rs. 300]
Airport Taxi (Meru/KSTDC/Mega)
[Rs. 650 - 1000] (Fare includes Airport Toll Charges)
From the Railways
Prepaid taxis/autos can be availed from all the railway stations. Buses to be taken to Divanarapalya Stop.
Yeshwanthpur Railway Station/YPR (~2km)
YPR is walkable distance from the Govardhan Theatre Bus Stop.
- Bus: 401-B, 401-BA, 401-BK, 401-E, 401-K, 401-N, 401-R, 401-RH [~Rs. 15]
- Cab: Ola/Uber [Rs. 35 - 70]
Bangalore City Railway Station/SBC (~7km)
Also called the Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna Railway Station, it is the main railway station in Bengaluru and is at a walkable distance from Kempegowda Bus Station (Majestic).
From the Bus Terminus
Kempegowda Bus Station
Commonly known as Majestic, it is about 7 km from IISc. Nadaprabhu Kempegowda Metro Station is at a walkable distance from here.
- Bus: 99-B, 266-T, 269-A, 271-A, 271-B, 271-K, 273, 273-C, 273-F, 275-C, 276-N etc. [~ Rs. 20]
- Cab: Ola/Uber [Rs. 60 - 150]
- Metro: Green Line towards Nagasandra, to Sandal Soap Factory [~ Rs. 20]. CeNSE is about 2 km from the Sandal Soap Factory Metro Station and most 401 buses go to Divanarapalya Bus Stop from here. Local Auto from this stop would also cost minimum fare [~ Rs. 25] till IISc D Gate.